The Amarillo Pioneer

Amarillo's only free online newspaper. Established in 2016, we work to bring you local news that is unbiased and honest.


Nelson Fire Causes $25,000 in Damage

A fire that occurred in Amarillo on Tuesday caused $25,000 in damage, according to the Amarillo Fire Department.

AFD officials report that crews were dispatched early Tuesday morning on the report of a structure fire at 605 South Nelson. A four-unit apartment building was found with heavy smoke and fire showing. Crews entered the building and called the fire under control 25 minutes later.

Fire damage was controlled to the unit where the fire originated. Other units suffered smoke and water damage. All occupants escaped unharmed.

The occupant of the unit in which the fire originated said that her space heater was too close to her mattress, which caused the fire. She panicked and threw laundry on top of the fire and made the fire grow larger. The Amarillo Fire Marshal has also confirmed that the fire was accidental and was a result of the heater.

Damages have been estimated at $25,000.


Amarillo College to Ink Program Deal with AISD

Amarillo Toddler in Hospital After Being Shot in Head